Friday, June 3, 2011

Time for summer!

 For my birthday, my mom bought me a cuisinart food processor that I have been wanting for a long time.  Gracie and Dylan wanted to learn how to use it right away so we started out by making lemon parmesan crackers.  The kids couldn't believe that I was actually going to let them use a sharp knife to cut the dough, but I did, and there wasn't any bleeding.
 I thought the crackers turned out great, but the kids thought they were just "okay."  I even had to admit that they came out more like hard biscuits than crackers.
 However, we had great success with making meatball calzones!  Dylan made the dough in the food processor and everyone enjoyed this meal.  I always know a meal is a success when they are asking for the leftovers the next day.
 Another fun part of summer is when Bill comes home from school, tells us he has two days completely free, and let's go somewhere!  I was impressed that we were able to get packed and left the house in a little over an hour.  I know that is a new record for the Blades family!  Thanks to the powers of my phone, I was able to bargain shop for a hotel while we were on the way to San Diego.
We took the kids to one of our favorite spots in San Diego, Anthony's Fishette.  We have taken them there once before, but this time it seemed like they actually appreciated it!  I always joke that there are certain places I won't take the kids, because I know they won't love it as much as me.  This time, they were asking if we could come back the next day.  Maybe they are growing up after all.
 Bill surprised us with something new.  He saw this wooden roller coaster on TV a while ago and really wanted to take Dylan.  Luke wasn't tall enough and Gracie didn't like the looks of it, so we watched Dylan and Bill ride the "Giant Dipper."  Dylan said it was like a roller coaster earthquake.

 Last summer, Caleb was scared of the water.  I didn't even put any swim clothes on him, but when he saw the other kids go in the water, he wanted to try too.  So off he went, clothes and all into the pool.  I had an extra pair of goggles, and he wanted those too.  This picture cracks me up because Luke has his goggles on so tight, and Caleb just looks cute. 

1 comment:

  1. Caleb's face with the goggles on literally made me laugh out loud (as opposed to insincerely putting "lol") and then I felt kind of silly because I was laughing alone in my house. :) I love that you let him jump in with all of his clothes on!

    ReplyDelete