Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Raspberry lemonade, sweet tea, and lobster tacos

 June means the beginning of summer time, and lots of basketball games for Bill.  As the kids get older, they have been able to handle coming to more of these games than before.  Thanks to help from Lori and Chris, we were able to make the trip to Arizona State University again this year.  One of our favorite parts of the trip each year is Cracker Barrel of course!  I think we made four trips there total during our four days in Arizona.  At this one, the waitress brought all the kids their raspberry lemonade in frosty cold glasses! Caleb ended up taking most of his naps while we waited for the food to come.


 Over the course of the four days, Chris, Lori and Emi went with us to six games!  Dylan sat on the bench with Bill and the other kids took turns watching movies on Uncle Chris' Ipad, reading books and coloring.  Over the years, Bill and Chris have discovered that they can get their sweet tea in "to-go" cups when it is time to leave.
 After being home for a week, Bill and I headed off for a trip to Santa Barbara for our 14th anniversary.  We love Santa Barbara because we can ride bikes and walk everywhere.   On one day, we hiked up one of the trails and found our way to the top of this hill which had an awesome view of the city and the ocean.



It is always fun to reward ourselves after a hike with some awesome food.  We have found a restaurant on Hendry's beach called the Boathouse which has become our new favorite spot.  My favorite thing is the lobster tacos. 



 The next day after our bike ride, we tried another place at the end of the pier which we loved almost as much.  This time Bill had lobster tacos and I had a crab salad sandwich.
 This was the longest trip we have ever taken alone since we started having kids.  I realize how blessed I am to have so many people willing to help me out so we can have these times together!  Uncle Chris took Dylan and Delaney to basketball camp every day that week at Pomona Pitzer College. Bill's mom and dad kept the kids at their house for us.  Gracie helped Grandma continue potty-training Caleb.  (Yay!! I am happy to report that he did not backslide in any way, and is now out of diapers!) Uncle Bob took them hiking, miniature golfing, and even set up the slip and slide. 
One of my goals for this summer was for Luke to finally get the hang of riding his bicycle.  We took his training wheels off several months ago, and he just kept getting frustrated every time he tried.  Finally the other day, something clicked, and he happily rode up and down the sidewalk in front of our house.  Now the next challenge:  getting him to tie his own shoes!  I know that sounds crazy, but a homeschooled kid can get away with this for a long time if they have a weak mom who keeps doing it for him!
On a side note, those who know me well, know that I don't like driving very much.  That has been another goal I set for myself this summer: to get over it!  So, when faced with the opportunity to drive Dylan to Santa Barbara alone for Bill's basketball tournament, I didn't want to do it at first.  Then I remembered my goal, and took off.  It took me almost three hours to get there, and then two hours back home, but Caleb and I enjoyed the drive.  Thanks to Uncle Chris and Aunt Lori for watching Luke and Gracie!  I enjoyed the peace and quiet, and he enjoyed watching the DVD player!  Dylan came home exhausted but with great memories of spending the night in the dorms with the players, and eating dessert pizza from Woodstocks at 11:30 at night!

No comments:

Post a Comment