Thursday, January 10, 2013

Tracers of Lost Parts of Speech

 Back in June, Marilyn had an idea for our homeschool group to perform a play that she did when she was in elementary school.  I had been wanting to the kids to do a play for a while, so I was ready to take on the challenge.  It was a musical, with eight songs to memorize, two major parts for Dylan and Gracie, all while learning our parts of speech.  It is hard to put into words all of the emotions that went through four moms as they tried to make this all come together.  After it was all over, I was glad we did it, and hoped that we made some lasting memories for the kiddos.
To start things off, Caleb and Luke did a dramatic reading of "Watch Me Throw the Ball" by Mo Willems.
 Our play begins with "Hector, trusty bloodhound, what is it?' The detective calls in the Tracers of lost parts of speech and the song begins...
 "We can find prepositions, conjunctions, interjections, we can find almost any word at all..."

 "No, I prefer blue, there's something so peaceful and relaxing about it, that it makes one forget.  But, that's my problem, something that I've forgotten that keeps me from finishing my speech. Oh well..."
 "I'm thinking, I'm thinking, and this is what I thought..."


 "This must be your missing part of speech, Hector is usually right!"

 "Herb the Verb is a man of action, he's busy all the day through.  He runs, he walks, he whistles, he talks, he does whatever you do!"
 "Of all the parts of speech, I consider myself the chief!  For I take whatever you want to say...and I make it very brief!"
 "

 "Say, maybe that would help us too!"
 "Can't you see how important we are?"
 Conjunctions connect, and I'll try to help, for you can't succeed, unless I intercede..."
"My glasses!  I forgot my glasses!"
Taking their bows at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment