Saturday, May 11, 2013

going to the farm

 After finishing Charlotte's Web, our homeschool group decided to visit a real working organic farm in Ontario, called Amy's Farm.
 Farmer Amy explained to us that they just assume that they will lose 30 percent of what they grow each year because they don't use any pesticides.  Made me feel better, since it seems like I only get about 50 percent of what I grow in my backyard.
 She explained to us that the different kinds of greens actually grow better in colder weather when you don't crave them as much as in the summer.


 She let all of the kids pick some of the rainbow chard to feed to the animals.








 The kids all got to spend a long time petting and brushing the horses. We were the only group there that day so they really let us take our time as we walked around.




 I had no idea that a cow's tongue was so long!





 I think this is my favorite picture from the whole day!  Laurie was becoming friendly with this horse and decided to show her some love by licking her ear!

 Then she showed us how to milk the cow.  I was proud of everyone for trying it!


 Ok, not everyone tried it!  Can you guess who would NOT touch the cow?
 Not me!  Farmer Amy told me that I had a real knack for milking cows.  I guess I should know a little something after nursing four kids of my own.

 They have their own farm stand with fresh produce daily.  Wish we lived a little closer!

 Here's our whole gaggle of kids!  Farmer Amy said that she loves having homeschool groups because they always listen and ask good questions.


No comments:

Post a Comment