Thursday, July 26, 2012

I'm going to head down to the coast...

 I put this picture on facebook right after we got to Cayucos.  It was a little cold and foggy but we couldn't resist going down to the beach because we were so close! We found out a few months ago that our favorite beach house, the surf shack, had been sold.  We were left with very few options of other homes that were big enough, except for this newly remodeled home with a beautiful view of the beach.  We have never stayed so close to the sand before, and needless to say, we loved it!
 I feel like lately I have been talking a lot about Caleb's fears and how he is learning to overcome them.  Even after our progress with swimming lessons, Caleb didn't want to touch the water that first day we were there.  I carried him and dropped his feet into the water and within two minutes he remembered how much he liked it! Every day he would tell me he didn't want to go to the beach, and then every day he LOVED it!
 We love throwing frisbees and flying kites at the beach.  Lori bought a couple of smaller kites from the dollar store and Luke quickly got the hang of flying this Buzz Lightyear kite.  He kept his kite up higher and longer than anyone else.
 One of the family's favorite spots is the Cayucos Candy Counter.  They make their own ice cream and everyone loves the "Cayucos Candy Crunch." Although Aunt Lori loves "Sand Pebbles" flavor and was so happy that they finally made some by the end of our second week.
 Aunt Lori had some work to do while we were vacationing.  Here you can see her trying to work on her laptop and enjoy the sounds of the beach without the glare from the sun.  She stayed like that for a long time!
 Len and Shirley came in their trailer for the first week and stayed in Morro Bay but spent a lot of time having fun with us at our house.  The kids loved making sandcastles with Shirley and Grammy. 
 If the kids weren't on the beach playing, they wanted to be in this spot in the house playing video games.  I kept pulling them away from the tv, to go on walks to the beach and to the park.
 On this particular day we took cars out to the beach and Caleb spent a long time just racing his cars up and down this rock by our house.
 Gracie is still not too old to enjoy snuggling up with Grammy. 

 "I don't want to go in the water..."  "Mom, I like the water"... "Mom, come watch me in the water"  ... "Mom, I'm hungry, do you have any food?"  I heard those phrases lots of times over the two weeks we were there.
 Gracie really got the hang of making sand castles.  She spent a long time working on this one all by herself.
 Bill brought his fishing poles this year to take the kids fishing on the pier.  This is the first time they went.  I came walking up to the pier about an hour after they left to see if they caught anything.  Nothing was biting that morning, except my boys eating up the whole bag of snacks I sent with them.


 These are the baby swings on the beach of Cayucos that both Luke and Caleb have been on every year since they were born. Luke was determined to show me that he can still swing in them.


This is what we call the "Sea Shanty" park because it is right across the street from the "Sea Shanty", one of the kids (and the dads) favorite places to go and have dessert. I have been taking them to this park every year for the past seven years, but this is the first time any of them have thought to climb this tree. It cracked me up to hear, "Mom" and I couldn't find Luke until he told me to look up!  I know it's not that tall of a tree but he was proud of himself!
Lots more pictures to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment